basic question about monitoring bandwidth
c***@lycos.com
2008-08-01 15:35:48 UTC
Hello,
I want to monitor bandwidth on a switch using SNMP and ifHCInOctets
and ifHCOutOctets.

My question is ifHCIn/OutOctets gives the total value in bytes
receieved on the interface so it will grow and grow.

I want to get mbits per second for this. Do i just take 2 readings at
1 min interval, obtain the difference. Divide it by 60 to get bytes
per second, then divide by 8 to get bits per second?

Thanks
Hans Jørgen Jakobsen
2008-08-01 15:58:50 UTC
Post by c***@lycos.com
I want to get mbits per second for this. Do i just take 2 readings at
1 min interval, obtain the difference. Divide it by 60 to get bytes
per second, then divide by 8 to get bits per second?
Better to multiply by 8 :-)
yes thats the basic way to do it.
/hjj