polling particular IF-MIB values via mrtg
Damon Getsman
2008-04-30 13:54:21 UTC
I can successfully walk the tree of data that I want to poll from my
mrtg machine on the machine that I need to monitor stats on. The
exact values that I need to poll are in the ifEntry sequence within IF-
MIB on the machine to monitor. snmpwalk shows that the values I need
are in ifInDiscards, ifInErrors, ifOutDiscards, ifOutErrors, and
ifOutQLen (attributes 13, 14, 19, 20, and 21 of the ifEntry sequence),
specifically the .2 and .3 of each of them due to the interface
numbering.

I'm having a very hard time finding documentation on 2 things here
that I still need to accomplish:

First, constructing the OID or MIB string to access these specifically
(or perhaps they are accessed via IF-MIB::ifInErrors.2, IF-
MIB::ifInErrors.3, etc for mrtg's configuration, I really haven't
found anything in documentation about it yet).

Second, actually creating the configuration options for mrtg which
will poll this information for me. I haven't even been able to find
any resources that specifically state how to poll a given OID.

I'd appreciate any tips, help, or references to documentation that may
help me understand these issues better. :)

Thank you much!

-Damon
Damon Getsman
2008-04-30 15:12:50 UTC
Well, after a few days of research leading me in no productive
directions whatsoever I must say that it was absurdely easy once I
found a decent resource.

For anybody having issues adding custom OIDs to be polled in mrtg
configurations, there is an excellent Quick HOWTO written on it at the
end of this message. Chapter 23 goes straight to the issue of adding
custom OIDs for polling purposes, the rest of it is just a damn good
tutorial on mrtg. My compliments to the person who wrote that. Need
to get some better keywords in there and more pages referencing it to
bring it higher up on google rankings, though. It took me DAYS to
find that.

Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch23_:_Advanced_MRTG_for_Linux">
Damon Getsman
Linux/Solaris Systems Administrator
</a>